Summary of the meeting :
The scope of this inter-disciplinary meeting (statistics and geosciences) is to foster new research perspectives between atmospheric scientists and applied mathematicians around one important geophysical research topic: data assimilation of extreme events. Mathematically, the class of models used in data assimilation corresponds to a state-space formulation in which the state equation drives the dynamics of the system and the observational equation integrates measurements with the state variables. Our two-day lecture and two-day workshop aim at taking advantage of recent developments in the field of Extreme Value Theory within a state-space modeling and filtering framework.
have four invited speakers for these two days:
- Richard Davis (Columbia University) : Extreme Value Theory
- Olivier Cappé (ENST): Filtering Approaches
- Frédéric Chevallier (Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement ): Data Assimilation
- Anne-Laure Fougères ( Modélisation Aléatoire de Paris X): Extreme Value Theory
The detailed programme is the following:
1pm30 - 3pm : Lecture given by Richard
3pm - 3pm30 : Coffee break
3pm30 - 5pm : Lecture given by Olivier Cappé slide
5pm - 5pm15 : Break
5pm15 - 6pm15 : Lecture given by Frédéric Chevallier slide
9am - 10am30 : Lecture given by Richard
10am30 - 11am: Coffee Break
11am – 0 pm30: Lecture given by Olivier Cappé slide
0 pm30 - 2pm: Lunch (sandwitches and drinks)
2pm - 3pm30 : Lecture given by Anne-Laure Fougères slide
3pm30 - 4pm : Coffee break
4pm - 5pm30 : Lecture given by Frédéric Chevallier slide
- Eric Blayo ( Université Joseph Fourier and INRIA) slide
- Marc Bocquet (CEREA/ENPC)
- Dan Cooley (
- Gérald Desroziers (Météo
- Christian Lantuejoul (ENSMP)
- Hans Wackernagel (ENSMP) slide
- Eric Parent (AgroParisTech) slide
Deadline for submission of abstracts is February 29, 2008. Information about the acceptance of the contributions will be sent by March 21,
· There is no registration fee.
· The participants (List ) are expected to have their expenses covered by their home institutions or from other sources. In case of extreme financial need, the participants are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an eventual financial support.
· Please register via the registration form *** at your earliest convenience but before April 25, 2008.
The Institute is located on the campus
Esplanade (see the map below), which is near the city
center . It is the number 36 on the map. The exact address
is the following :
Institut de Recherche en Mathématique Avancée (IRMA)
7 rue René Descartes
All the talks will be in the IRMA's conference room situated on the ground floor.
Tuesday and wednesday , sandwitches, cakes and drinks will be offered to all the registered participants, whereas a buffet (free) will be organized on Thursday.
- From the station:
· by foot, it takes about 30 minutes if you have a map;
by tram, in the train station you take tram A,
Lixenbuhl , to the station " Homme
de Fer". Then you go out of the
tram and take another one, Tram C, direction Esplanade, and you stop at
" Universités ". After leaving
the tram, undertake in the street Edmond
Labbé. On the left, opposite the bar "Metro", the institute
occupies a seven floor building whose entrance is situated at the opposite
Here is a map of
Also here is a map of the campus: Campus
- From the airport:
· by taxi;
by bus "
navette " from the airport to the tram station
Baggersee (about 12 minutes). A bus
leave the airport each 20 minutes. Details are given on this
web site: http://www.cts-strasbourg.fr
The price of the ticket is about 5,20 euros from one way and 9,70 euros for a round trip. This ticket is available during 1 hour, and also in the tram. You only have to punch each time your ticket. From Baggersee, take the tram E, direction " Wacken" until the stop " Universités ". After leaving the tram, undertake in the street Edmond Labbé . On the left, opposite the bar "Metro", the institute occupies a seven floor building whose entrance is situated at the opposite side.
- When you register, you have to say if you need or not an
accomodation. If you say "yes", then this
accomodation will be done for you in a two star hotel.
- If you prefer to do alone your reservation for an accomodation, then you have to say "No" in the registration form, and you can have a look to the following pdf file, which gives you some addresses for accomodation . Hotels
Armelle Guillou, IRMA
Anne-Laure Fougères, MODAL'X
Frédéric Chevallier and Philippe Naveau , LSCE
Page modified on 18/12/2007